Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wednesday Search Challenge (Feb 10, 2010)

This is a true story.

While watching the Superbowl (yes, the very same one that featured the fantastic bhel from earlier), my young friend Scott, age 9, asked me a question that sounds easy, but turns out to be more sophisticated than I would have expected.  His question is today's Search Challenge.

How long was the Haiti earthquake? 

Sounds easy, right?  Just do a search for [ Haiti earthquake ] and poke around for a bit.  (I'll tell you now that this doesn't work.)

Scott asked me this question because both he and his Mom both couldn't find the answer.

Tomorrow I'll show you my solution, and why this is a particularly complicated (and interesting!) search.

4 comments:

  1. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?categoryID=2&faqID=114

    (Top result for [earthquake duration])

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one Robin - I got myself stuck in the details of the Haiti earthquake event and lost track of my actual focus - I had worked with the keyword "duration" but in using Haiti with that combination, I got lost in other details. ~Kath

    ReplyDelete
  3. believe it or not, misspelled but got it on the first try http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=duration+earthquake+hatai&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B6_____enUS342US343&ie=UTF-8 35 seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete